Janet Adams's Reviews > One Good Hustle

One Good Hustle by Billie Livingston

F_50x66
Jul 27, 12

Read in July, 2012

I just finished this book and I'm stunned. I've read everything this author has written and this may be the best one yet. Billie Livingston is a writer who often looks at those living on the edge but this story really takes it to a whole new level. Though the narrator is a teenager this one is definitely no kids book. Raw, tough, and very funny, it's the story of Sammie, a young would-be con artist as she tries to make her way in the world, struggling to determine who and what she is. Is it nature or nurture? Are you stuck in the situation you're born into?

Sammie is a character I won't forget -- she's pure and jaded at once, she's angry and optimistic, she's funny and enough-to-make-you-cry. I loved the flashbacks to the hustles her parents involved her in as a kid and the small cons she pulls herself as a teenager. The dialog is so perfect too, you feel as though you are right there, a fly on the wall, watching the whole thing. The pictures are so vivid in my head that after reading the book, it's as though I saw it as a movie.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Hustle.