Nicola's Reviews > Swamplandia!

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books
Read from December 21 to 26, 2011

Well I have to be honest - this book was chosen by our book club and I did not vote for it. However I always try to read the books as I joined the club in order to be exposed to a variety of different books. This one however did not really impress me. I found it very slow going, with very little actually happening until the final few chapters. I found it difficult to relate to the characters, and really only felt that I got to know Ava throughout the book. There was no explanation for Ossie's strange behaviour, and I was left wondering who Louis Thanksgiving really was-- a ghost, imagination, a mainland boy, the Birdman??? Kiwi contributed little to the story in my opinion, and really what was the point of The World of Darkness? Contrast I suppose, but never truly felt it. As for the Chief, he truly was a non character, although I believe he could have added a lot to the adventures. A potentially good idea, but it really did not amount to anything for me. Oh ya, what happened to poor red Seth??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swamplandia!.