Brianne's Reviews > Holiday Hideout

Dec 21, 11

liked it

December TBR - Holiday book
Holiday Hideout, by various authors

This was a new addition to the anthology lineup, released by Harlequin this season and featured three stories - one centered around Thanksgiving, around Christmas, and around New Years’ Eve. There is an overarching theme involving the cabin that the three couples stay at that ties the three stories together very nicely.

The Thanksgiving Fix By Vicki Lewis Thompson
This was fun, which Thompson is known for. Beth and Mac are set up by the owners of the cabin, the Vickers. Mac is a handyman sent to fix a leak in the kitchen that Vickers purposely created. What ensues is mutual attraction, a huge snowstorm and two people falling in lust, then love. I liked the fact that the initial attraction was quick and the developing feelings had started, but the fact of falling so hard so fast was also addressed.

The Christmas Set-Up by Jill Shalvis
Two competing architects, Zoe and Jason, are set up by his brother and some friends after they have been dancing around each other for a long time. They are set up to wind up at the cabin at the same time, and wind up getting snowed in. The fun and caring and genuine concern for each other, and learning about their very different family experiences, that follows is heartwarming. As with the first story there is a follow up that works to show the development of the relationship and the growth of the characters as people.

The New Year’s Deal by Julie Kenner
Of the three, this was the story I liked the least. This is a reunited lovers story that I think falls a little flat. The first third of the story is spent explaining what had happened to our young lovers, Cleo and Josh, in the past and where they are how. The next 60 percent is the getting back together but also explaining the obstacles that are still in the way, and they are mighty. The last 10 percent is the conclusion and the people changing part. I liked that the hero was willing to change, since it usually seems to be the heroine making major changes and I loved that Cleo stood up for herself and her career. However, I did not like the ending at all and did not think it was plausible. I think there was too much that had changed between the characters in the intervening time for the plan to work. It also seemed very rushed - as if the Josh did not think through what he was doing carefully enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holiday Hideout.