Sparrow's Reviews > Genesis

bookshelves: remember-that-conceptual-spoiler, utopia-dystopia, reviewed
Recommended to Sparrow by: Flannery
Recommended for: Erica
Read from December 21 to 23, 2011

** spoiler alert ** My high school U.S. history and economics teacher had this cardboard cutout of a monkey that said something like, “ARE YOU THE HUNDREDTH MONKEY?” The monkey was looking very Uncle Sam in his pose, so it felt imperative that you either be or not be the hundredth monkey. So, there was a kind of underground movement in the class to find out what the hell that meant. It turned out that the teacher would tell you eventually if you pestered him enough about it. The cutout was based on the book The Hundredth Monkey – shut up, we didn’t have google then, so we had to do a lot more hard-hitting investigation to learn random stuff. In college, I found the Hundredth Monkey book at Goodwill for $2, so I had to buy it. It is about some monkeys eating coconuts on a beach from what I remember. One of them figures out how to eat them without getting mouthfuls of sand and then they all start eating coconuts with no sand.

So, that’s what this book is about, too. But, then, in this book the other monkeys kill the one that doesn’t want to eat sand. There’s also some stuff about the Bible and Rome, but that's mostly a red herring, I think.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

Sparrow haha! No, the first book in the Bible is better. Or, at least has more sex and violence. I'm not being deep in the review.

I do want to do a review of the Bible sometime, though.

Miriam It's hard because the books of the Bible are so different from one another.

Sparrow Yeah, I think I would just review Jonah and Ruth. But, the other day, I was thinking I'd rather just review the books individually. They really are so different.