Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Dog Who Danced

The Dog Who Danced by Susan  Wilson

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-release, dogs, vine, arc
Read from January 01 to 02, 2012

They say some people handle grief in bad ways...I think this couple does. First, let me say this is a good story, not so much about a dog, but about handling grief and loss and a how a dog can help people heal.

Justine's dog is dog napped, basically and then abandoned. While she struggles with bitter feelings with her step family and her father dying AND searches for her dog, an older couple picks her dog up and replaces their lost daughter with the dog. The dog brings them together again. No longer are they sitting apart, but together in order to pet the dog who lies on both of their laps. No longer are they spending days trying to avoid each other, but bonding as they walk the dog, take the dog for rides..and so on.

My problem with this book was solely: I can't stand any of the characters. I thought the heroine, Justine, was irresponsible. I have three adorable dogs and I would never EVER leave them in the cab of some truck driver's truck, especially not a man I barely knew or knew from a bar. She also packed up her little boy and left her husband. Not a smart move. Wasn't like he beat her.. and she could barely provide for the kid.

The couple: The whole, "Let's not find his owner/let's place an ad but be half-witted about it/No, of course he doesn't have a chip.." stuff didn't fly with me. I get they loved the dog and I personally felt the dog was better off with them than Justine, but they struck me as so corrupt, I had a difficult time stomaching the whole situation.

Good book and well written, but I don't think it will agree with everyone.

Favorite quote from the dog: "Humans have this nee to express themselves through their mouths, and he supposes that this is because they are so poor with their noses." LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Who Danced.

01/01/2012 page 65
20.0% "The heroine is STUPID. I would never leave my dog in the vehicle of a person I don't trust. I almost hope the dog ends up in a different home... so upset for the little guy."
01/01/2012 page 155
48.0% "I like the story, but I don't like a single character except Mitch (and so far there isn't much of him.) Justine is irresponsible. Her family is a bunch of bastards. The people who found the dog are so WRONG, purposely not finding his person.. All these people make me sick to my stomach."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lance (new)

Lance Greenfield I was tempted to ask Ronan to review this one for me, but he said that he would rather go down to the park with Bertie and Maisie!

I have to respect his wishes, don't I?

Tara Chevrestt LOL. Yea. This was a tough one for me. I kept visualizing people finding Lola should she get lost and just keeping her.. Makes me sick. Gried over their daughter doesn't excuse them in my opinion.