Liz's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: favorites, reviews-to-post, unrivaled-favorites, own, cover-love, rereadables, best-of-2012, beautiful-writing
Read from February 02 to 08, 2012

Full review to come!

*Notes*

*As of now, just turning the last page, I have no words for this book. It's magical, lyrical, brutal, bloody, and dangerously beautiful.

*This is, however, not a book for everyone. If you want a fast plot and whirlwind romance, then you may not be entertained. Because "The Scorpio Races" is about so much more than that. It's about finding out who you are, and what you're willing to do to prove it not only to everyone around you, but to yourself. It's about fear and bravery, family duty, standing up for something even if you aren't sure of yourself. It's a slow burn of a novel, with a love story that (for once!) feels so genuine and real. But most importantly, it's about the love we feel for those who aren't even human.

*I will be the first to admit that I have a general bias towards anything with horses, so it was a given how much I would love this book. But there is something absolutely primal and magical about a horse. Maybe my past in horseback riding gives me an advantage with this story? Because I could practically feel them all around me. You can tell Maggie Stiefvater knows horses, because even though they are huge, vicious, monstrous versions of horses, they are absolutely real. And by the way, if you have never ridden a horse on a beach on a rainy, stormy day, what are you waiting for?!

*I cried twice while reading this novel. It is extremely hard, almost impossible, for me to get that emotionally connected to a book. But I did. Twice.

*I absolutely loved that the romance was not the focus of the book. It was on the backburner, but man, was that burner smokin'! The connection between Sean and Puck builds over time, and I don't think they understood what was happening at all. They were two people drawn together because, deep down, they were so similar. While I appreciate that this is a standalone, I could definitely read a never ending series about these two and their lives. But, then again, I also appreciate that this way, I can imagine them how I want them.

*The world building is beyond amazing. While it's obviously based on reality, this little island is beyond the realm of possibility, but somehow it works. Somehow, during this whole thing, I could believe that somewhere out there, there's an island full of hardy people who race water demons on the beach every November. It's fantasy seamlessly blended with reality.

*And, of course, Maggie Stiefvater. While I enjoyed the Shiver trilogy, and thought her writing absolutely delightful, I really feel like went above and beyond for "Scorpio". It's raw and honest, but still somehow flowy and lyrical all at once. She can turn a metaphor like no other, and her imagery hits you like a wave. I could practically toss any quote up from this book, and it would be insightful and beautiful and vivid. In every word you can feel the sand on your skin, hear the waves in the distance, and yearn for the thrill of the race.

*I could literally wax poetic on this novel for eternity. I really feel that if you don't have a true passion for horses, then you just won't get this novel. Because that's what it's about. It's about loving something beyond human bonds, truly connecting your soul to something else, and finding yourself through that love. Not every book needs to be a heart-stopping thriller. Some books need to be quiet.

(And to be perfectly honest, I'm experiencing near Harry Potter emotions with wanting to shake everyone who didn't like this. I'm about to go all capall uisce and start biting faces off. :D Well...maybe not that much. Just a nip or two.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.