Celeste's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in December, 2011

I couldn't help but plunge into this one as soon as I was done with the fourth, and I wanted to take it slow and enjoy it (knowing there was no book to jump into next), but I couldn't help myself.

I really enjoy Martin's writing style.

When I was a younger reader, it didn't take much to impress me. I didn't trouble myself with details. Then I was forced to read classics in high school and college, and that tempered my tastes a bit. I became a bit of a book snob. There has to be something for me to chew on or else I won't even bother to pick it up. I still am largely a book snob, but I began to sprinkle pieces of (what I call) "crap" books into my reading list. They are awful and I have to grit my teeth through them and amuse myself with counting the cliches and errors, but I feel like it makes me a better reader in the end for the struggle of it. With all that said, I now feel like there is a time and place (and a reader) for all the different things to read in the world.

So how does that pertain to what I think of Martin's writing? Well, it's not high literature and I don't think it's quite as good as Tolkien, but it's respectable mind vacation fodder. I really love that, as long as they can sometimes be and far apart sometimes, Martin doesn't forget. He keeps catch phrases and themes. He doesn't drop predictions. He has cliff hangers that make you want to go back to find the subtle (and not so subtle) foreshadowing. I like that. A lot. And I've said it before, his characters are so rich and when he kills one off (or makes you think he has) it hurts a bit. I like that in a work.

Now that I'm done with the series (as it stands right now), I'll do the housework I've put off and read other things, but I'm anxious for the next book. I'll just have to content myself with the show, I guess.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.