Mary Gilligan-Nolan's Reviews > A Great Deliverance

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth  George

Dec 21, 11

Read on December 21, 2011

It has taken me many years to getting around to reading Elizabeth George. My sister gave me a book a long time ago and I could not get into it at the time. I gave up after only a few pages. So, I thought it was time to try again and this time, I was more than ready. It was a very, very good book, written by an intelligent writer with a great use and understanding of the english language. Vivid descriptive language, which put the reader right there in the pages. It was a story when I read the first two pages, I found that I was unsure of the era. Until Fr. Hart stepped off the train and it was said he passed a hamburger stand, I thought we may be in the early 20th century. The story is about a young woman found by the local priest, sat over the body of her decapitated father in a barn on their farm, and their also slain, family dog. The girl says, "I did it", I'm not sorry", which seems to be an admission of guilt, but the axe used has no fingerprints, the weapon that killed the dog (not an axe) is missing and the villagers are adamant that the girl could not possibly have killed her father. So, D.I. Linley and D.S. Barbara Havers are sent down to Yorkshire by Scotland to investigate. There is much more to this story than meets the eye. This is a series I will be following and I am awaiting book 2. from the library.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great Deliverance.

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Great review, Mary. The series is mostly good, I think, although with a few mis-steps. Occasionally George gets a bit soapy, but mostly she improves as she goes along.

Mary Gilligan-Nolan Thanks Kim, I just got my Christmas reading material from the library, 8 books, I hope I have time to get some read as it's a busy time for me. Have just started Katherine Fox, Death Mask, but I have some great ones lined up. Happy Christmas to you.