Estara's Reviews > Cross Game 5

Cross Game 5 by Mitsuru Adachi

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: manga, read-in-2011
Read from November 20 to December 21, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I think this volume is as far as I got in scanlations - so I was able to appreciate the subtleties of the emotional plot more than the first time around: I sort of understood bits of the baseball game and the deft pacing made it clear even to me when the time for the crunch came, but those explanations we get via Aoba and Azuma's brother mostly went past me.

It just makes me think how much Seishu would be at a loss if they didn't have Ko, no matter how good Azuma is. What makes this volume - for me - is the introduction of Akane and her effect on the people who have known and loved Wakaba. I'm not sure if I should believe either Ko or Aoba with their "in my mind Wakaba is stuck in 5th grade" spiel.

Especially when Aoba advises Ko to have the yukata-clad ghost of Wakaba back safe and sound at her grave on the sixth anniversary of her death - the traditional date for the local summer festival.

Akane starts out as a bit of a blank slate but she already develops personality when talking to the drawing Momiji or giving Aoba a self made pillow full of ruffles in thanks for her help with a manipulative admirer.

Emotional developments are really set into motion now, because both Ko and Aoba's family are confronted with a Wakaba-look alike.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Game 5.