Jane Stewart's Reviews > Without Fail

Without Fail by Lee Child

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: mystery-suspense-thriller
Read in December, 2011

3 ½ or 4 stars, can’t decide. Reacher didn’t beat up as many thugs as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed it.

STORY BRIEF:
Someone is threatening Armstrong, the newly elected Vice President. Froelich is in charge of the Secret Service team protecting him. She used to date Reacher’s brother who told her about Reacher’s talents and abilities. She hires Reacher to test her security and then to help with the current threat. Reacher hires one of his army buddies to help.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Another good suspenseful exciting escape with tough guys’ tough guy Reacher. I’m doing all of them in order and enjoying each one. However, this one did drag a bit in the middle. It took a long time (most of the book) to solve the mystery and find the bad guys. I think there were only two scenes where Reacher was beating up or shooting bad guys. Other Reacher books had more than that, so I was disappointed. Instead this book is mostly wondering who could be doing this and how are they going to catch them. But it’s better than no Reacher at all. The ending is good. We know Reacher will win because there are sequels.

I liked the way Reacher hung up on the bad guy when the bad guy wanted to talk to Reacher. The Secret Service boss was angry because he had asked Reacher to keep the bad guy on the phone for as long as possible, but Reacher didn’t. Reacher explained it’s a game. There were a few other chuckling moments as well.

THE SERIES:
This is book 6 in the Jack Reacher series. I gave 4 or more stars to all of the first 6 books except for Running Blind, gave that one 2 ½.

NARRATOR:
The narrator Dick Hill was very good.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook reading time: 13 hrs and 25 mins. Swearing language: I don’t recall any. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: two referred to not shown. Setting: 2002 various U.S. locations. Book copyright: 2002. Genre: mystery suspense thriller. Ending: Good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Fail.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacqueline Reacher didn’t beat up as many thugs as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed it.

LOL

Go Reacher!

Jane Stewart "Go Reacher!"

You had me LOL. Then I tried to do what you did - just exerpting from my title, me excerting from your message. Did this work? Did you hit the word "reply" twice and then edit? Do you leave in the quotes? I learn such neat tricks from you.

Jane Stewart Go Reacher!

I just tried it again. No quotes. just the i's in brackets. Right?

Jacqueline yup that's it

Jacqueline I finally got the latest Reacher from the library. I need to find time to sit down and read it.

Jane Stewart Thanks again :)

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Reacher didn’t beat up as many thugs as I would have liked, but I still enjoyed it.

Winner: Best Line from a Review for 2011.

;-)

Jane Stewart Carrie wrote: "Winner: Best Line from a Review for 2011."

What a way to start the day - LOL! Thanks Carrie - so witty!