Jane Stewart's Reviews > Silver Girl

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: womens-relationship-fiction
Read in December, 2011

Meredith was clueless about more than just her husband. She has no curiosity. Mediocre story. I wanted it to be over.

STORY BRIEF:
This book was inspired by the Bernie Madoff financial disaster. People gave money to Bernie who created fake reports telling them they were earning huge profits, but in reality he was stealing their money. For many people this was their life’s savings. Bernie went to jail.

In this story Freddy Delinn is the Bernie character. His wife is Meredith. They have two sons in their 20s. One son Leo worked for Freddy. The story begins with Freddy going to jail. Meredith and Leo are being investigated and may end up in jail. The public hates Meredith. She has been forced to leave her home and almost all of her possessions (clothes, jewelry, art, linens, cars, etc.) which will be sold at auction. The only money she has is $45,000 in a bank cd which she earned years ago as a teacher.

Meredith and Connie were best friends as teenagers. They had a disagreement and have not spoken in a few years. Meredith needs a temporary place to stay during the investigation, and she calls Connie for help. Connie picks her up and drives her to Connie’s vacation home on the island of Nantucket.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I didn’t like it. More than half of the book is flashback, telling stories about Meredith and Connie in the past, for example: Meredith dated Toby as a teen, he broke up with her. Meredith met Freddy, how their relationship started, what their life was like being married. Other flashbacks include Connie’s life with her husband Wolf who died of cancer 2 ½ years ago. Connie still grieves. Also told is why Connie’s daughter won’t speak to her which causes more distress for Connie.

Current events include: The authorities won’t let Meredith talk to her two sons until the investigations are over, so Meredith worries about them. Meredith wears a disguise when she goes out so people won’t say mean things to her. Because Meredith is staying in Connie’s home, someone vandalizes Connie’s property, like painting “thief” on the house and slashing her tires.

The past tellings were unimaginative. It was kind of boring. I was not engaged. My only curiosity was wondering if Meredith and Leo would be cleared of the charges.

I like to see relationships develop, but that does not happen here. Although there is a “little bit of romance” for Connie, it was not emotionally engaging. It was more of a curiosity. The main theme is current relationships are broken or lost. And then we learn about causes in the past. For some of them, the characters reconnect at the end of the book but differently than in the past.

This book does NOT have:
- intriguing or fascinating characters
- witty, intelligent, or inspiring dialogue
- solving interesting mysteries
- suspense and action
- learning new things
So who is this book for? I don’t know, I suppose people who like reality TV shows.

Another of my complaints was that I was tired of hearing Meredith’s repetitive pondering about how could Freddy have done this and why didn’t she question things more. This happens a lot during the book.

Meredith was a good student in college, but she was emotionally needy for Freddy. As a result she gave up her own goals and interests for him. I didn’t admire anything about her. She had a lack of curiosity. If she had been more curious about things, she might have discovered some of the bad things Freddy was doing. Freddy’s bad activities included more than just stealing money. Although Freddy went to great lengths to keep things hidden from Meredith, she now realizes there are things she could have done if she had been more curious.

The ending was just ok. Nothing bad but nothing fulfilling. I wanted to see more details about Samantha, a secondary character.

In Acknowledgments at the end of the book the author states “Some books are tougher than others; this one was very tough.” IMO if the author is finding it hard to write, maybe that’s a clue that it will be hard to read because that’s how I felt. It was not enjoyable.

DATA:
Story length: 403 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: one, referred to not shown. Setting: current day Nantucket Island off Massachusetts. Copyright: 2011. Genre: women’s relationship fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Great review as always. And this exactly is why I don't read general fiction very often.

Jane Stewart Thank you Jacqueline. Thanks for reading. I agree. It's so rare to find good general fiction.