Boof's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Apr 05, 09

bookshelves: classics, read-in-2008, british-authors, victorians, uk

I first read this (actually that should say I was first forced to read this) in school over 20 years ago. I hated it. It was disected to within an inch of its life and I came to dread those lessons with a passion. What a shame that school can manage to put off even the most ardent of readers. Isn't reading supposed to be about enjoyment?

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago out of curiosity and read the first page while standing in the bookshop. Before I knew it I had read the entire first chapter and loved it. There is such humour in Dicken's books that would have been totally wasted on me as a 15 year old.

It took me a few weeks to read (hence the 4 stars as I had to concentrate more than with other books) but I thought it was just wonderful. I remembered so little of the story from the first time around that it was like reading a new book. What a fantastic array of characters I came to know. Just loved it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Ok, I'm thinking of venturing into this book... after how much I despised A Christmas Carol, I've been nervous to try another Dickens...but I think he deserves one more chance. Do I read this or A Tale of Two Cities??

Stacie I know you are asking Boof, but my vote is for this one.