Ellie's Reviews > Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: fiction, books-about-books, 2011ind-chal200bks
Read from December 21 to 26, 2011

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi - the opening at least is very confusing but at the same time hilarious with lots of lovely prose. As I settled into it and recognized the flights of fantasy, I was less confused but still delighted by the fairy tale aspect and the general story-telling.

A favorite quote (there are too many to share a complete list!): "All around them people were speaking a language Brown didn't understand; it was like silence with sharp edges in it."

So many beautiful sentences, beautiful phrases. Lovely stories, bits and pieces of magic. And the power and games of relationships, "power...the knowing and the telling."

The complexity of the relationships: not just between the characters but amongst the stories, the characters and the characters they themselves create. Once settled into the author's world, it is both like being told bedtime stories and challenged to examine the nature of the world, people, imagination, and art itself.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Fox.

12/21/2011 page 42
13.0% "A little confusing so far but ver interesting."
12/21/2011 page 107
32.0% "Now totally confusing-and yet completely delightful & funny at the same time."
12/25/2011 page 146
43.0% "Less confusing, more delightful."
12/26/2011 page 197
68.0% "I'm not sure how the stories come together but they are each one fascinating."
12/26/2011 page 271
94.0% "A luxurious pleasure of a text."

message 1: by Lea (new) - added it

Lea I was just looking at this at the bookstore -- I'm curious to see what you'll think of it!

message 2: by Dimity (new) - added it

Dimity I read one of her books and loved it. She's near my age and I really see her becoming one of those "voices for a generation."

Ellie So can I. Which of her books did you read?

message 4: by Dimity (new) - added it

Dimity White is for Witching-I plan to read her other novels but I'll have to inter-library loan or buy them so they are a bit down on the list for now.

Ellie Understood. I'll have to put the other book on my list.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Great stuff above Ellie! Now I have to check into her other books. Hopefully our library system will take pity on me and others. Hope you and your gang are well. Cheers! Eliz

Ellie Elizabeth wrote: "Great stuff above Ellie! Now I have to check into her other books. Hopefully our library system will take pity on me and others. Hope you and your gang are well. Cheers! Eliz"

Hi-sorry I've been out of touch-parent-teacher meetings, late nights & IEPs. I'm exhausted but well.

Hope you're doing well too.

Ellie

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth We're hanging tough here too.

xo Elizabeth