Jasun Chelat's Reviews > Letters to a Young Poet

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

F_50x66
Dec 21, 11

Read on December 21, 2011

I am no poet, but he might as well have been writing to me.
But I guess that's the point of it, isn't it? Everybody at the beginning of beginnings, is so 'unutterably alone', so given to introspection and self-doubt like poets are for all their lives, I suppose.
Rainer Maria Rilke is one of my favorite poets and every word that he writes overflows with poetry, of the most beautiful and soulful kind.
This book is one of those books that you can write only little about because you do not understand it in a way that you can write about. It's kind of a Zen thing, really. Haha. Rilke himself says in the very first letter:
"Most happenings are beyond expression; they exist where a word has never intruded".
I won't with my lousy vocabulary and language try to intrude upon such a place. But throughout this book I wanted so much to go back in time and give this book to every poet and human being I have ever loved throughout history. Maybe they already know all of it intuitively without Rilke telling them. But I wanted to go back in time and give the book to Rilke before he wrote it, you know what I mean? It tells us so many things that cannot be taught. I do not believe that any of us are truly brave at beginnings, you know? And I would appreciate someone telling me:
"Perhaps all the dragons in our life are really princesses just waiting to see us just once being beautiful and courageous."
That's all I am going to say about this beautiful book. Read it, whoever you are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters to a Young Poet.