Janvi's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

Dec 21, 2011

did not like it

If you were looking for books that embody rape culture , slut-shaming and overall being a terrible human being - this book is for you .

Look no further than some of this creative narrative.

Her body was, well, perfect. She wasn't thin like the freak girls who puked and starved themselves into what they thought was Paris Hilton chic. ('That's hott.' Yeah, okay, whatever, Paris.)

First of all , you should never make fun of people with eating disorders. I have an issue with making fun of serious issues , but it's only because I want to shred light on an issue. To publish a book , with a person speaking like this is not only rude , and ignorant but leaves a bad impression to the young women who read this.

Actually, instead of being afraid, it was more like I was an observer, as if none of this could really touch me. (Kinda like those girls who have sex with everyone and think that they're not going to get pregnant or get a really nasty STD that eats your brains and stuff. Well, we'll see in ten years, won't we?)

I doubt there's a teenager alive today who isn't aware that most of the adult public think we're giving guys blow jobs like they used to give guys gum. That's bullshit, and it's always made me mad. There are girls who think it's 'cool' to give guys head. Uh, they're wrong. Those of us with functioning brains know that it's not cool to be used like that.

While , I agree that teens shouldn't have sex. I am at no position to degrade another person for getting more game than me. That's what men are for . Men already give enough shame to women they sleep with. Before calling someone dirty , just look at the filth on your hands. Stop Slut Shaming. Stop it now . I am not a slut for wearing a short skirt. I believe that women are more than their bodies. And you should teach young pre-teens that what you do with your body , is your business.

They were talking quietly and acting like the totally illegal marijuana incense was no big deal. (Pot heads.)

No offense, but Zoey in this situation - they are using it as incense. For religious reasoning .

THIS BOOK CONTAINS RAPE - AND PORTRAYS IT AS BEING OKAY TO FORCING ANOTHER PERSON INTO A POSTION THEY WOULD RATHER NOT BE IN. BUT BECAUSE IT'S FEMALE ON MALE , IT IS BEING SHOWN AS OKAY. THIS IS NOT OKAY . LET ME REPEAT . YOU SHOULD NEVER PORTRAY ANY FORM OF NON!CON OR DUB!CON SEX AS BEING OKAY

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

03/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell Well, I must say, then - you have fantastic taste for a fourteen-year-old. :3

Have you read Sunshine by Robin McKinley? It's a pretty interesting take on vampires. I don't think it's YA, but I see it being sold in that section all the time, so...

message 2: by Janvi (last edited Jul 18, 2012 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Janvi description

Well ,I do have fantastic taste. No , I haven't read that book but I will check it out .

message 3: by Sophia (new) - added it

Sophia I haven't read this book, but finally another 14 year old who thinks it's revolting

Angelofthefallen I agree its a crap book but for fucks sake, just because you're 14 it doesn't mean you cant think for yourself. All of you saying "im 14 and I hate it" doesn't make you a special snowflake. I'm 16 and I dont like it. So? Have your own reasons for hating something. Think for yourself. God.

message 5: by Nightwillow (new) - added it

Nightwillow Once you get passed the writing style and the first 150 pages, it's good

Brooke This is one of the greatest reviews I have ever read. Ever.

Shiann Taylor Why is everyone so full of hate? Jesus! Put it down! Trust me, you can do it! You have the power i promise! Remedial minds are directly responsible for the moral decay in society!Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it considered ignorant to respond so vulgar and hateful to something you don't understand or may dislike? Hmmm Personally it feels too primitive to me, like we have completely and abruptly stopped evolving as beings spiritually, emotionally, and communicably and are full throttled and hell bent in reverse! Rapid Devolution! I fear by the time my children are grown they'll have fuckin amoeba brains! I found the whole series to be wonderfully imaginative and creative. Even if I didn't like them I would still have been shocked and appalled by some of the reviews I've read. Forget the horror books, the reviews are horrific! Shame on you guys. This is a book, not an evil dictator or a baby raping murderer. Why are you so hateful? I read some of these out loud to my son who is 13 and he was disgusted and couldn't understand your thought process from some of you adults out there. Im glad my child has enough common sense and respect and love to not only recognize, correct, and show sorrow and pity for your immorality, he was bigger than to gloat about it and talk crap about it because he disagreed with it. He set an example is what he did. Im truly blessed to have such an amazing son. He's autistic too BTW! Wtf does that say to you people? When will people get past themselves and see the bigger picture for its simple beauty? If you dislike something would it kill you to say it in an unhateful way? Huh, maybe constructive criticism even? What is that too much? Lol I'm SOOOO digging a hole and going to live like the mole people!!! Good luck society! > (°π°)< fk fk

message 8: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Dear Shiann,

no one has to sugarcoat their criticism if they think that is the criticism the criticised object deserves.

This review contains constructive criticism. That is written in a tone you seem not to like does not change that.

Maybe your son didn't understand these thoughts processes because he hasn't had the experience to understand it? Most teens at 13, autistic or not, still have much to learn, especially regarding reading, or criticism of social issues.

And if you honestly fear that our brains will decrease to "amoeba brains", then you are gravely exaggerating something ridiculous. Do not worry, they won't evolve "backwards".

And if you could tell me what this "bigger picture" is supposed to be regarding this lame excuse of a book, then by all means do so. I'd love to hear it.

And I can ask you the same! Why are YOU so full of hate that you write these things about people who disagree with you?

Sincerely,
Your friendly pony from the neighbourhood

Madeline Gardner I enjoyed the book, because for once women are shown as the higher being than some male. Personally I don't believe there is any rape, just more so a person being used.

message 10: by Lina (new) - added it

Lina Madeline, rape IS using a person.

Also, it is not good if any gender is shown higher than the other, unless it be to criticise that situation.
If you'd like to read a book with a strong female character, I'd recommend "House of Cards" by Michael Dobbs, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Truman Capote, "Kassandra" by Christa Wolf, "Wildthorn" by Jane Eagland(Contains LGBT) and the "Rivers of London" books by Ben Aaronovitch. :)