Danielle Louise's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, knitting, library, audiobook
Read in December, 2011

Wow. I did not enjoy this book AT ALL. The only reason I finished it is because I had a 14-hour roundtrip drive to make on my own and I figured an audiobook was better than the constant radio station surfing. Which I guess it was, but barely. (However, it is probably worth noting that I would never have picked this book up if I hadn't needed to find something to listen to on the drive.)

First of all, I REALLY disliked the reader of audio version. The voices she did for most of the characters were awful (especially James's) and inconsistent (especially Darwin's). If I'd liked the reader better, maybe I could have rated it a star higher.

But the entire book is manipulative and concerned with its own self-importance. Characters are constantly thinking about how other characters are so full of unique pearls of wisdom, which rubbed me the wrong way because the author just seemed so damn self-congratulatory. And the plot is so over-the-top and melodramatic and so designed to make you cry that it really turned me off. The entire book is depressing and about women who hate their lives. Not one single character is likeable.

And as a knitter, feminist, and (former) academic, the entire Darwin thread of the book made me angry. First of all, I know the women's studies program at Rutgers has a certain reputation, but I still didn't like seeing this false dichotomy of feminist vs. knitters. I know PLENTY of feminists (academics and non-academics alike) who love to knit. My other issues with the Darwin plot is that she is the character I should have been able to relate to (and there were certain parts where I recognized, "oh, yeah, I totally get that"), but I felt NOTHING. No emotional connection whatsoever with her story or any other character's. And since I'm the kind of person who normally gets very emotionally involved in books/TV/movies, the fact that I felt nothing really speaks volumes.

If you regularly read and enjoy depressing women's fiction, you will probably enjoy this. If not, skip it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mick (new)

Mick Oh phew. Now I can take this off my list. All the ladies in my knitting classes keep telling me to get it, but I was hesitant. Now I know to trust that impulse.