Brooke's Reviews > Shadows in Flight

Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, science-fiction
Read from February 08 to 10, 2012

Looking at the reviews for Shadow of the Giant, it's clear that a lot of people thought that it was the last book in the Shadow series. It really should have been, because this was a disappointing footnote. It's more of a novella than a novel, and it doesn't really serve any new purpose in the Ender's Game universe. The writing is really clunky and juvenile, and it seems to be Card's way to make sure that we really, really understand the messages that his other books were trying to tell us. There's lots of telling-instead-of-showing and beating-the-reader-over-the-head, which doesn't make for a very enjoyable read. Furthermore, Card decided to frak with the entire history of the Hive Queen, which was enough to make me decide this book doesn't really exist. Wikipedia shows that we're supposed to be getting ANOTHER Shadows book that links up with the end of the Ender series, but...I think I'll pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Flight.

02/08/2012 page 109

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm on the waiting list for this one at the library. Although I put the reserve on hold because I'm still only halfway through Game of Thrones 2. That one could take me to the end of February.

Brooke Shadows in Flight surprised me by being only about 200 pages at the most...it won't take you long at all.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Hmm, then do you suggest that I put Thrones on pause for a quick Shadows break?

Brooke If you need a Thrones diversion, this one won't take very long. The print is also very large.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Cool. We'll need to talk again post-reading.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael You were right. Very quick read.
I was overall not very impressed by this novel. But I went it expecting that. While the Shadow storyline in the 2nd through 4th books I preferred to the Ender 2 - 4, I didn't expect much from Bean and babies in space. There just wasn't as much that could be done with them. Not enough large-scale politics, so they had to focus on their internal relationships. Which was less interesting.
Of course, it's not like I could not read it. That was never in question.

Brooke I just finished it, and as you can see from my review...meh. That's interesting that you liked Bean's storyline more than Ender's - I think I loved Speaker of the Dead more than Ender's Game. I did like all the Earthly politics of the Bean series though, that was a lot of fun.