Felina's Reviews > The Magician King

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, star-5, audible, 1dead-tree
Read from January 03 to 17, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

So there is this type cast wizard character that usually appears in most fantasy novels. Dumbledore, Gandalf, Fizban...so on. These amazing wizards are usually older, typically 'good' and just understood to have unimaginable powers though, except for a few fights, you don't really see it. You take it on the authors word.

Then there is this book. Young and head strong wizards. Kicking ass and taking names. (view spoiler)

While I agree that Quentin was, and sometimes remains, a difficult character to like though I think he's gotten a lot better. He's passed the whole teenage angst stage and moved, quite nicely, into something a little bit more commendable. Someone with a pretty decent amount of character and heroism. I like the new Quentin.

I love Julia as a character. Her back story was extremely interesting and I sympathized with her struggle. The involvement with religion into this story was fascinating and extremely unexpected. I loved the idea of it.

What I like most about Grossman's writing is that he writes realistic characters. I completely believe these people and totally understand their motives.

I just wish he didn't leave me at a quasi-cliff hanger with no third book release date in sight. Well I'm going to need The Magician's Land pretty quick ,Grossman. So get on it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.

01/10/2012 page 200