C.S.'s Reviews > Fly Up into the Night Air

Fly Up into the Night Air by John C. Houser

Sep 27, 14

bookshelves: gay
Read from December 20 to 23, 2011

Three and a half stars. This should have received an easy four stars, but it contained too many flaws. It's an unusual and engaging story that, in spite of a revised edition, still needs a strong editorial hand. Clumsy formatting, left-out words, and vocabulary errors were distracting, but didn't keep me from reading to the end. I just kept thinking that this obviously talented writer was too confident of his own editing skills.

The primary weakness of the novel is that it's two stories, and probably not intentionally. After finishing it, I felt that Stilian's backstory was possibly overdeveloped to keep the novel from being too short. Many scenes in Harte's story felt skeletal and in need of much more development, if for no other reason than to balance out Stilian's.

In spite of the problems, I do recommend it to anyone who enjoys an intelligent, thoughtful book with a strong sense of its setting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly Up into the Night Air.

12/21/2011 "Great, GR assumes a digital book is a Kindle book. PDFs have pages, folks. Page 23 - *You* figure out the percentage."