John Egbert's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: all-the-tears, cover-win, finally-a-good-book, not-the-children, oh-mah-god, you-did-it-rite
Recommended to John by: Everyone.
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** First thing's first.

Right. Now to business.

I didn't think I was going to enjoy Angelfall. I thought it would be another one of those 'I really wish I liked it' things where I had to sit up and convince myself for an hour and a half that it was really good and I adored it. How wrong was I.

Firstly, Penryn. If Penryn was a real person I'd marry her and have all of her babies, who would run around the earth being awesome little heroines who didn't spend every page whining and obsessed with the hero, and who actually had goals that, you know, didn't involve getting into the hero's pants. Or getting the hero to get into her pants, since she can never actually make a move herself... >.>

My point is, Penryn is a breath of fresh air. If I was a little bit crazier I'd tattoo her name on my forehead and walk around shouting to people how great she was. Okay... maybe I would have to be a lot crazier. But she's still mindblowingly awesome.

Raffe is... well, a lot of things. And that's why I like him. He's not a nice guy hiding behind a jerkass facade. He's not a jerkass hiding behind a nice guy facade. He's a person. He's complex. He's, he's, he's, AWESOME.

I am seriously running out of words to use to describe this book other than awesome.

Uhm. Oh yeah, something else.

I read a lot of books and just don't connect with the romance at all. I actually used to think it was because there was something wrong with me. But then I realized it was because... they were badly written. The characters had no chemistry. They were flat. Their reasons for liking each other were based on how huge the dude's muscles were, or how small and helpless the lady was. (Uhm, yeah... no.) It just wasn't real. Penryn and Raffe don't even get together, don't even confess their deep epic twu wuv for each other and this is one of the most real written romances I've ever read. Raffe outright says that he doesn't even like her, and it's just, just, just,

AWESOME.

Yes, yes, I know. I'll stop saying awesome, I swear.

AWESOME.

Um. Sorry.

(view spoiler)

Moving on. Penryn's goal to find her sister was one I could very easily relate to and cheer for, because if it were my own kid sister I'd rather die than give up. Much easier to relate to than, say, getting together with a complete jerkhole or finding some magical gem. It's personal. And personal goals are *always* the best. It's true.

I'm getting pretty incoherent now, I think. Gah. It's just such an awesome book. (Said it again, I know.)

If you come across this book, grab it. Hold it to your chest like a child to protect it from the elements. Wrap it in a soft, warm blanket, bring it home as fast as you can, and read it. READ IT.

Everyone should read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes John Liked

Susan Ee
“I've never killed anyone before. What frightens me isn't that I'm killing someone. What frightens me is how easy it is.”

Susan Ee
“I am not afraid of you, your kind, or your god.”

Susan Ee
“Anybody that ties you to a chair at gunpoint is a bad guy. Do I really need to explain this?”

06/12/2012 page 105
41.0% "OOOOOOOOOoooooo, this is good. Very very good." 4 comments
06/14/2012 page 255
100.0% "NUUUUU THAT CAN'T BE THE END ;A;"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ai Haibara YAY FINALLT!

John Egbert IKR?! I can't wait to get started!

John Egbert Cillian wrote: "Well? Why aren't you done reading it, Carty?
We want to hear your thoughts!"

Argh I misplaced my copy!

And then I found it again!

And then I lost it again.

And then I found it again, but I lost it again.

Actually I only lost it once, but it makes the tale seem so thrilling if I lost it about a dozen times and then had to go on a quest riding on the backs of wolves to find it. Anyway I hope to get to it soon.

John Egbert I don't have a dog. Some stray cats hang around my house, though. Will that work?

Sophie I happened to see this, and I'm so glad you're reading it! It always makes me happy to see people reading books that I absolutely loved :)

John Egbert Well, I keep hearing that it's like totally awesome so I've decided to give it a try :D

curious little beastie Readitreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreaditreadit.

John Egbert I will, I will, don't worry.

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Egbert Aaaah, gee, I wished I listened to people quicker. Then I could have read this book sooner! :D

Ai Haibara HEHE
Join the Angelfall fanclub

description

Wendy Darling Ah, I missed this. So glad you liked loved it!