Felina's Reviews > Spin

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, star-5, 1dead-tree
Read from February 20 to March 04, 2012

I don't even know how to review this. This book was fantastic and easily the best science fiction I've ever read. Yes, better than Asimov. But I can't really say that because this book was akin to Asimov's Foundation in a way. Extremely involved but so enlightening.

What I can't quite get over is how extremely complicated this book is but how very easy it was to read and comprehend. When I look back at the story and the concept and the characters and the science, my head about explodes but I never felt any pressure when reading. What I found was highly plausible and amazing science. I loved every second if it.

And I loved every second that included Jason. My favorite character and the fictional equivalent to the love of my life. If I could transport myself into this book I would marry him, have his genius babies and listen to him talk forever. Literally, I would never say anything and I would sit next to him and listen to him talk and be completely happy forever. *swoons*

My only issue, and it's a small one, is why did the only main girl have to be an idiot? Now I understand that Diane was the storys connection to the religious side of the Spin but couldn't Tyler have been the girl and Diane a boy? Ergg. She was just this stupid idealistic paranoid illogical nut job and quite frankly, nowhere near good enough for Tyler. I never saw what Tyler saw in her but I still liked her as a character. I understood her motivations but I just wish the only idiot of the three wasn't the girl.

I love science. I love books with a ton of science. I'm no good at math which means I will never be able to have a true understanding of science on a theoretical plane. But books like this one put the science I love in a 'real world' application so I can understand in on a realistic plane. Or as realistic as science fiction can get.

Love love love love love love hearts and love.

*sigh* Jason

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin.

02/20/2012 page 40
02/21/2012 page 127
27.0% "Let's just push bed time back an hour or two."
02/22/2012 page 168
36.0% "My face just exploded."
show 3 hidden updates…