Dusty's Reviews > Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts

Naked by Ayana Byrd

Jun 19, 08

Recommended to Dusty by: my heart

i was looking in the olympia library's very small "color" non-fiction section, trying to find something written by native women. all i found was a book full of edward s. curtis photos about native women's "ancient spiritualness." i passed on that book because i took it home once and discovered it was written by white folks and very static. like native women don't wear jeans and drive cars.
anyway nothing on the shelves by native identified women, but i did find Naked. an amazing raw real and current sharing of inside thoughts, oppressions and healings, by african american women. all about color and the body, too much or too little, what it means to live the lies and stereotypes and what it means to let them go. this anthology jumps right into the most vulnerable places. i appreciate its strength and love.
and i'll bet that some of these women are mixed with native blood as well. so maybe i did read something contempory by mixed blood native women after all. there was so much in here about hair, eyes and skin tones it really reminded me of my own mixed race family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked.