Melanie's Reviews > Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci

Blockhead by Joseph D'Agnese

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: children-s-picture-books, picture-books, biography
Read in December, 2011

Do you remember back in Math class, hearing about Fibonacci Sequence? The name rung a bell with me when I heard that and was intrigued to see what this book was all about. The famous mathematician Leonardo Fibonacci, the young student amazed by and mesmerized by numbers.. much to the chagrin of his family and elders who often referred to him as Blockhead. Little is known about the mathematician, but this tale by D'Agnese takes facts that were known and creates a wonderful biography style picture book about the man who realized the wonderful natural pattern of numbers. Now D'Agnese attributes that to Mother Nature, which I understand as a book to the general public. I on the other hand contribute it to God of Heaven and Earth who designed the pattern. I find it fascinating that Fibonacci was able to use his mathematic ability to realize such a pattern.
The book has beautiful and detailed illustrations of the places and things Fibonacci saw, all incorporating the spirals that are a symbol of the pattern. The end of the book has a Can you Find section that sends the reader back through the book looking for details in the illustrations.
Loved this book for the uniqueness in subject matter, a figure in ancient history that I am enjoying having my young children learn about!

I received a copy of this book from MacMillan publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blockhead.