Tina's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Jan 30, 12

bookshelves: audio, fiction, youngadult
Read in January, 2012

I don't know how I feel about this book. It was exhausting and heart-wrenching but also kind of ridiculous. The first-person present tense POV worked at times to keep things suspenseful, but at other times turned into this horrible play-by-play narration style that some people seem to be dubbing an "authentic voice" -- and maybe it is, but it was also redundant and annoying. Sometimes it was effective, sometimes it really does work to have a moment pounded into you, but sometimes it translated into very long passages that were like, "And I'm running. And I'm running. I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I keep on running." Really? This book could have been substantially trimmed down. Maybe this would have bothered me less if I were reading it, because then I could have skimmed (and maybe this is why of the reviews I skimmed, I didn't see anyone mention this flaw), but since I was listening to it I had to sit through every single sentence and it got old.

I did like the plot and the world and the horrifying dystopia of it all. I will probably check out the second book because the first ends with SUCH a cliffhanger and I do care about what happens. The reader on the audio book did a good job. But although this had the potential for more stars (and honestly, given the awards it's won, I expected to like it more), it only gets three because it was too clumsy and gimmicky at times. Also, could it have a worse title?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.