Greta's Reviews > Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood

Devil in the Details by Jennifer Traig

Jun 19, 2008

bookshelves: memoir
Recommended to Greta by: some dude with a card/review on the "staff recommends" bookshelf
Recommended for: everyone, because we are all ocd if we're being totally honest
Read in June, 2008

i read this book essentially in one sitting: parked on the beach in a perfectly charming end-of-vacation/i'm-unemployed-and-have-no-idea-what-i'm-doing-with-my-life funk. at first, i had no patience for what seemed the usual sob-story of the trials of the adolescent middle-class white American female-- perfectionism and eating disorders and temper-tamtrums rolled into a neat clinical acronym, a protagnist whom we're supposed to pity and shake our heads over, grateful we are not she. but then i discovered, very quickly. that THIS was precisely the point. the book is wickedly funny; i burst into laughter often and insisted on reading bits and whole passages aloud to my sister who was lying next to me because they needed to be taken off the page and appreciated for their wit. it was also refreshingly honest, truly, without the "praise me for being so honest" agenda. the only aspect of which i wasn't so huge a fan was the structure of the book- it was definitely non-linear and sort of like a comedy routine at times, organized by themes that sometimes overlapped a little too much (tendency toward repetition; but maybe that's just the ocd coming out, huh?). overall, though, a pretty brilliant quick read that makes you realize simultaneously how weird and yet how normal you yourself are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil in the Details.

03/25 marked as: read