Blythe's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

5206717
Actual rating: A very low three stars or 2.5 stars. I'm undecided right now.

I fell asleep while reading this book. True story, ask anyone (and by anyone, I mean my husband. I hope you're not able to ask just anyone and they can assure you that I fell asleep while reading this. That'd just be creepy). I settled down in bed, all cozied up, preparing to read more of Delirium because I've been putting it off for much too long, hoping to get a big chunk out of the way.

I think I lasted about thirty minutes before Delirium used its superpowers and put me right to sleep. Seriously, I think this book may have some special sleeping powder instilled in its pages. Either that or it's just really freaking boring. But I'll give Delirium the benefit of the doubt and go the sleeping powder route.

But the thing about Delirium is, I don't think it could have exciting even if something actually happened throughout the first three hundred pages, because the subject matter was just dull and uninteresting to me. I knew before going into Delirium that it'd be all about love, and how dangerous it is, but oh no! The main character finds out love is really a beautiful thing and shall be cherished, and that..

(view spoiler)

Crap! I fell asleep just thinking about Delirium this time! Anyway, while I did find the dystopian world in Delirium thoroughly interesting at first, and the concept of love as a disease original and fascinating, I soon found that this dystopian world is similar to most undeveloped dystopian worlds on the YA market today, and it almost seemed to follow a cliché dystopian checklist:

1: Does your world have an implausible story that is never actually given any depth as to how it came to be? Check!
2: Is your world inconsistent and full of plot holes? (ie: Saying that the word 'love' can get you locked up in an instant, and our main character claims she's only said love once (view spoiler), yet she said that her aunt loves children early on in the novel?) Check!
3: Is your world full of ... *looks around* secrets? Check! (This seems to be a necessity in anything YA, and normally I wouldn't have a problem with it if every damn secret weren't reminiscent of each other.)
4: Do your characters fall in ... insta-love? *shudders* Check!

and the list goes on and on.

I see that many of my friends have read Delirium and have really enjoyed it, but unfortunately, I found it to be a bit too same-old, same-old and predictable for my tastes, and that's coming from someone who doesn't even read many dystopians. However, the last hundred pages or so were interesting, and the book ended in a big cliffhanger, so I will read Pandemonium, but I just don't know how I'll feel about it when I'm just not interested in the story or romance. (But the writing was pretty! So there's that, I guess.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

12/31/2011
11/08/2012 page 102
21.0% 2 comments
11/22/2012 page 393
81.0% "Wait... what?"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Onikah I have not read this yet.... (behind the times am i)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Blythe Bekka (Pretty Deadly Reviews) wrote: "This one bored me to tears trying to read it. But listening to the audio version was much better."

Ugh, tell me about it. I literally fell asleep at one point when reading it. Thinking of lowering it to 2.5 stars, but I'll see how I feel after writing my review.

Natalie Monroe I preferred Before I Fall

message 5: by Rogier (new)

Rogier was never interested

Heather Oh, I loved this book! I loved it even more the second time I read it, before Pandemonium. I thought the writing was beautiful. Oh well, different strokes and all that :-)

Blythe Heather wrote: "Oh, I loved this book! I loved it even more the second time I read it, before Pandemonium. I thought the writing was beautiful. Oh well, different strokes and all that :-)"

I thought the writing was beautiful, too, but unfortunately the plot and romance just wasn't for me. *shrugs* I'm glad you liked it, though! I've heard great things about Pandemonium, though, so I'm looking forward to it!

Kaitlyn *Nandos* Horan The second book, Pandemonium, is a lot better. Lena is a different girl and so much stronger. Plus, the new love interest, Julian, is more developed and there's no insta-love. :)

Blythe Kaitlyn *Nandos* wrote: "The second book, Pandemonium, is a lot better. Lena is a different girl and so much stronger. Plus, the new love interest, Julian, is more developed and there's no insta-love. :)"

That's what I've heard, so I have hope for it! And another love interest? (view spoiler)

Snuggles with Rainbows I had marked this book as to-read...now i'm reconsidering this decision :/

Blythe Snuggles with Rainbows wrote: "I had marked this book as to-read...now i'm reconsidering this decision :/"

I wouldn't! I lot of people tend to really like it, so I'd hate for you to rule out a book you might enjoy because of a review I wrote. The whole love concept just isn't for me, truthfully.

Kaitlyn *Nandos* Horan Blythe wrote: "Kaitlyn *Nandos* wrote: "The second book, Pandemonium, is a lot better. Lena is a different girl and so much stronger. Plus, the new love interest, Julian, is more developed and there's no insta-lo..."

I don't want to give anything away, but it's not a love triangle in the second book, because she believes Alex is dead, but I'm pretty sure there will be one in the third book, because of what happens at the end of book two.

Lakota I agree. I just don't understand why so many people love this book so much. Not to mention, the characters are horridly and paradoxically flat and round at the same time and the hardback cover (without the dust cover) is probably the single most disturbing thing I have ever seen on the cover of a book.

Oliver Urban Pandemonium was a much better read. There's plenty of action, but its not overdone. Lena changes a lot, and the ending was just . . . Well, the ending was interesting to say the least. Although there was some more insta-love. Not as bad as the first book though.

Lakota Well, that's good then. I am actually going to read the second book when I have time since I have heard a lot of people saying that. I just think the first book could have been executed better.

message 16: by Becki (new) - added it

Becki I'm trying really hard to enjoy this book. I like Lauren Oliver well enough (loved Before I Fall but I'm reading this right after finishing Matched by Ally Condie, and I feel like the story is a bit repetitive. Except of course that Lauren Oliver puts more into her characters than Condie did. I just wish that she'd improve her pacing some.