Wendy's Reviews > Dying to Know You

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: kindle, ya-liked, 200-pages-or-less-diversion
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 20, 2012

* edited for typos

Free eBook preview courtesy of Net Galley. Thank you!

I knew the name Aidan Chambers from the time I've spent over the last few months reading all the Mock Printz books for the workshop my library put on. It was an enjoyable few months of reading and feel like the time was well worth it. Aidan Chambers won the Printz award a few years ago, so I thought I'd give his newest book a go.

It's hard to know what you are getting into with an eBook. I can't judge a book by it's cover, for one thing, and I can't read ahead to see what happens during the last few pages. [I'm awful about that...I don't think I've ever read a book all the way through without reading the last 2 pages somewhere in the middle...]

Reading this as an eBook on my Kindle may have saved me with this book. I haven't figured out or am too lazy to figure out an easy way to peek at the end. In Dying to Know You I was in the dark the whole way.

Does someone die? Who's dying to know who? Who am I and where do I go from here?

You meet Karl, a working class bloke living in England who seeks the assistance from an author to write a letter to his girlfriend. Through their conversations, you learn this tough plumber/rugby player actually has a soft side, but just doesn't really know how to put it into words. He's a very private person, and just as he starts to open up a little, he's shut down again.

The author, living with secrets and shadows of his own, learns more about himself and his life during the months spent interacting with Karl.

It's an interesting book with thoughtful and insightful characters learning to be comfortable with who they are today, leaving behind the lives of yesterday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying to Know You.

01/07/2012
01/07/2012
12.0% "I haven't yet figured out how to have page numbers on the Kindle...am I dumb? or do we just go with the percentage?"
01/13/2012
48.0% "mostly dialogue so far. Some kind of 'epiphany' or something is going to have to happen soon..."
show 3 hidden updates…