Michael's Reviews > Remembering Satan

Remembering Satan by Lawrence Wright

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, true-crime, religion-cults
Read in December, 2011

In Remembering Satan Lawrence Wright, as with his other book I've read, is able to conjure a time and place that for many of us is fraught with superficial preconceptions, in a fresh new way that illuminates not only the time and place, but broader issues that may bleed into our own times. The story of Paul Ingram is honestly the most unbelievable tale I've ever read. This is a true horror story.

Notes:

Wright's ability to set the stage for his action in vivid, engaging terms is unrivaled in the world of nonfiction. The interrogations are so intense, not physically, but psychologically, that the cumulative effect of the investigation is horrifying. The satanic hysteria of the 80s and early 90s seems like a 400-year-old phenomenon but it happened in my childhood, a mass hysteria of epic proportions. Ingram's wife Sand has a voice like the salt-of-the-earth characters in a Raymond Carver story, hard, real, and tragic. The general revelations about repressed memory are vital to understanding this particular, stunningly extreme case. What is never clear is how these girls became so fixated on such heinous and untrue acts.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remembering Satan.