Samantha's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Dec 20, 2011

it was ok
Read in December, 2011

I read the Da Vinci Code and I thought it was decent. Then I read Angels and Demons and that was okay to mediocre. The Lost Symbol is probably the worst of them all and although it is suspenseful, it also annoyed the hell out of me. I got very impatient with the story line and it got boring and repetitive many times. The character of Mal'akh is very two-dimensional and after the umpteenth time of him thinking, "I am a masterpiece, I will transform, I will become a god among men, blah blah blah," it got real STALE. I couldn't help but roll my eyes and it's like, alright already, I get it. And Dan Brown's writing definitely needs work. Examples include phrases like, "He bounded up the stairs on sinewy legs" or "The CIA agent ran on well-trained legs". I mean really? Isn't there a more elegant way to say that? The writing just sounds so...bad.

There were some great concepts like Noetic science and how human thought can be measured. There's also a good plot twist at the end (though a little predictable) but otherwise this book is pretty flimsy. I don't recommend wasting your time reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.