Gavin's Reviews > Love in the Ruins

Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy

Dec 20, 2011

bookshelves: friend-recs
Read from February 01 to 26, 2012

Walker Percy reminds me of a more down-to-Earth Kurt Vonnegut, perhaps more concerned with the human condition but not necessarily optimistic. This is also a somewhat uncommon case (for me) of liking the first half of a book better than the second. I guess I went into the book seeking a diagnostic for the waning sentiment of love in a modernized world, and I was more than satisfied in the beginning. However, the hysteria with the distribution of Dr. More's lapsometer signaled a shift in the mood and focus of the book, centering instead on potential catastrophe and race/gender relations rather than Love.
I underlined more passages in LitR than I have in almost any other book, though. Percy's writing was certainly unique, at least to what I have experienced, and his vocabulary is right up there with David Foster Wallace. I also thoroughly enjoyed the persistent imagery of creeping vines and decay as well as Dr. More cradling gin fizzes (similar in character quirks to The Dude with his White Russians or Nero Wolfe with his three beers every night). And the feeling of excitement/doom during the several passages with impending thunderstorms are as neurovisually stimulating as any movie could be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Ruins.