Bishope's Reviews > Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett

U 50x66
Dec 20, 2011

I am so delighted with how my 6th graders responded to this book. Sometimes when I share a picture book with them, they sit back on their heels and frown skeptically at me, as if to say, "Ms. Frei...we're too old for this." I was especially worried when several kids piped up right away that they have known and read this book since they were little. I thought, "Oh, no. They're going to be so bored and patronized."
NOT AT ALL. There were giggles and gasps and outbursts of ideas at every page. The concept is so universally appealing--delicious food falls from the sky instead of rain and snow--that no one could resist dreaming up their own perfect "3 meal weather" scenario. It sparked off some great writing, not to mention invigorating energy (desperately needed this late in the year!).
[image error]

We also loved the outrageously entertaining illustrations, all in pencil-etching style, made so jam-packed with hilarious variations and details, it's practically a "Where's Waldo" of ridiculum. After reading it, I left it on the chalk ledge of the board for the students to leaf through up-close between classes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.