Jason Penckofer's Reviews > Me...Jane

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell

Read this for an upcoming Mock Caldecott discussion. First I'll say that I quite enjoyed the text of the book, and I'm a sucker for notes at ends of books from authors and subjects. While not necessarily report material (not supposed to be, I imagine), this seems like a great way to introduce kids to how Dr. Goodall's young interests influenced her career.
The art is stated as being "...India ink and watercolor on paper." There are also "...ornamental engravings from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries..." set behind the text on most pages. I was going to say that the pen and watercolor characters reminded me greatly of the comic "Mutts" when I did a quick search and realized that is most likely because that strip is also by McDonnell... So, no surprise that being a fan of his art style, I quite liked it here too. I recall some rumblings to do with the photos that open and close the story, but I feel they don't distract from the rest of the book, and indeed they compliment each other nicely. For what it's worth, I also enjoy the reinforcement of the real-person-ness of Dr. Goodall that the photos provide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me...Jane.