Jaime's Reviews > The Double Bind

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

Jul 13, 07

bookshelves: general_fiction, 2007
Read in June, 2007

The first thing I did before I started this book was head to Wikipedia and read a summary of The Great Gatsby, since it’s been 12+ years since I read it, and it’s really an integral part of this book. I recommend that to anyone who picks this up.

I often start thinking about what I’m going to say about a book before I finish it. As I neared the end of this, my thoughts were “this wasn’t as good as Midwives or Water Witches“. Then, Bohjalian gives you a very M. Night Shyamalan-esque twist that completely redeems the story and made me go back and reread parts, to see if I should have seen it coming. Laurel’s behavior throughout the book is very strange, but by the end, it all makes sense.

All in all, this is a slow starter, but it’s worth it in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double Bind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misti Thank you for the tip of looking up the summary for "The Great Gatsby". I don't think I ever read it in school (though I was supposed to) and was afraid I'd not get as much out of the story of "The Double Bind" because I didn't know anything about "The Great Gatsby". I'm only about 4-5 chapters in, so I'm going to head over to wikipedia and do just that. Thanks again!

~ Misti

Kate It had been way too long since I'd read the Great Gatsby as well....great thought to read the synopsis. It all flows so much better...thanks!

Kate

Beeteach7 I, too, did a review but that is not the issue with this book. This book assaults in its "twist"