Andrew's Reviews > James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper

James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper by G. Norman Lippert

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from December 20 to 26, 2011

I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as the first James Potter novel. Again, if the Harry Potter novels felt formulaic, this one felt even more so.

While I have no objection to killing off characters in a novel, somehow it feels wrong for a work of fan fiction to kill off an established character from the works it's derived from. The death was eventually shown to be necessary to the plot, it seemed Lippert could have come up with a better mechanism that didn't require taking such drastic liberties with one of Rowling's characters. The characters in this novel didn't react to the death in what I felt was a convincing or even realistic manner.

Writing J.K. Rowling into the novel as the character Juliet Revalvier, and referring to the real-world Harry Potter novels within this book was far too meta.

(view spoiler)

Some characters, particularly James, have a talent for missing the obvious. It was annoying in the Harry Potter novels, and it's annoying in the James Potter novels.

The writing for the conversations in this book seemed a bit less polished than the previous one. Or, perhaps I'm simply getting annoyed with the characters.

Zane's cameos via chaos butterfly and doppleganger were cheesy and annoying. Just once I would have liked an explanation of how Zane is in mortal peril to make the doppleganger appear, yet simultaneously completely safe and can carry on a leisurely conversation.

Baby dementors and super-mega-OMG-it's-going-to-end-the-world dementor? Whatever.

Overall, if you liked the first one you'll probably enjoy this one enough to finish it. However, after reading this I have no desire to read the final book in the James Potter trilogy, and I wonder if the world wouldn't have been better off if Harry Potter had gotten a vasectomy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danyiele Kibby lol funny the vasectomy part

Jasmine I don't entirely agree with you, but this review has been quite entertaining!