Rod Hilton's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, movie-and-tv
Read from December 20, 2011 to January 07, 2012

Tina Fey seems a bit young to have written an autobiography, but the book is interesting and extremely funny nonetheless.

Fey's book is quite personal, talking about her scar, her childhood, her father, her time in high school, her work in improv, and eventually her time at SNL and 30 Rock. She also discusses her family life throughout, although that material is somewhat lighter; it's clear that Fey doesn't want to get TOO personal in the book, and largely wants to leave her family out of it.

The book is very funny, and I personally recommend listening to the Audiobook, which is read by Tina herself. She really adds a lot to the book in terms of tone and style, I'm not sure the book would have been as good if I had simply read it instead.

I really enjoyed hearing Fey's feminist viewpoints, especially about her time at SNL and 30 Rock. The only part of the book I found unenjoyable was a section where she responded to people who posted comments about her on the internet. Fey comes off as petty and insecure in these sections, responding to standard internet trolls with disproportionate vitriolic fervor. At one point, she embarrassingly tells a male commenter that people need to use the Hubble telescope to see his penis. The Hubble is used for seeing distant, enormous celestial bodies, in a way she was accidentally saying his member is gigantic.

The book teaches the reader a lot about the television industry, how shows are formed, what it's like to be a writer on a hit TV show, and what goes into comedy writing in general. It also really helped me understand Tina Fey better, though there is a layer of sarcasm over everything personal that is clearly used as a distancing mechanism for her. It seems like she wasn't really comfortable writing something deeply personal, which makes one wonder why she wrote an autobiography at all.

Nonetheless, the book is very entertaining and difficult to put down. It contains some real laugh-out-loud moments, so be warned if you plan on listening to the book on the bus (as I did). I'd recommend it for anyone who is interested in comedy and television as long as you already know who Tina Fey is.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.