Sridatta's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: 2011, awesome-2011, fantasy
Read from December 20 to 27, 2011

It seems neil gaiman is not only good at writing books but also suggesting great ones.

This is a must read book for every fantasy lover. The Gothic setting and historical references are pretty impressive. Though it is the annotations which are the biggest attraction of the book and they were written particularly well. The length of the book never bothered me until she started introducing uninteresting characters late in the third volume. I generally don’t care whether all the characters have s stake in the plot or not as long as they are written reasonably well. But here, some of them serve neither purpose. Of all, I liked childermass and the gentleman with thistle down hair the most and was excited to find that one of them will be heavily featured in the next book.

For those of you wondering whether to start this book or not - one of the protagonists is a bibliophile and he might be a little bit possessive about it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

12/20/2011 page 56
12/21/2011 page 255
25.0% "found the collector edition for half the price at my local bookstore :))"
show 4 hidden updates…