Katie's Reviews > The Predator

The Predator by Katherine Applegate

This volume is the first in the series from the perspective of Marco. Prior to this volume, Marco is mainly a comic relief character who sometimes seems to drag his feet unnecessarily. This story adds depth to his character, besides giving him a purpose to be involved in the war against the Yeerks. (view spoiler)

Marco quotes an author of an ant book as saying, "If ants had nuclear weapons they would probably end the world in a week" (pg. 92). Interestingly, that quote is real and comes from the book "Journey to the Ants" by Bert Holldobler and Edward O. Wilson.

As an adult reading the series, I scoffed at first when I read Marco's calculations of how fast light travel in miles per second to 82 light years (pg. 15-16). I know I didn't have the speed of light memorized when I was in junior high. Not to mention that I know plenty of people in my university chemistry and physics classes who are incapable of doing that type of conversion calculation. However, after this initial reaction, I was pondering that kids can often be smarter than we give them credit for. I know there are plenty of things I knew as a kid that adults assumed I didn't.

Ax's extreme reaction to taste was pretty funny. From Marco's point of view, Jake seems a little grumpier than previously described - "hacked off", "ragged out". Since I was rereading the older, original version of the book rather than the re-release, I was trying to pay attention to places that would potentially be "updated". If there were any instances of outdated technology, I either didn't notice them or didn't adequately mark them. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Predator.