Erica's Reviews > Mudbound

F_50x66
Jun 19, 08

Read in April, 2008

From my blog post for Darien Library:

At any given moment in time, I'm usually reading a non-fiction book (or two or three). It's my thing. I love reading about new perspectives on true-life occurances. If I were stranded on a deserted island and I had to choose whether to bring a fiction or non-fiction book, the answer would be as clear to me as whether to choose between brussels sprouts and a scoop of mint-chocolate chip ice cream. (Uh, hello, it's mint, it's chocolate, it's heaven!) On my reading list right now are In Defense of Food, Reality Show, and The Punch. All excellent.

Then I heard about a debut novel called Mudbound by Hillary Jordan. I had met the author briefly at a Library conference while she was signing advanced copies of her book. The premise sounded interesting, but I reminded myself that the book was fiction. Not my thing. I'd have to deeply consider any time I'd have to give up to read fiction instead of my beloved non-fiction books. I'm being serious!

Then, a few weeks ago, Jen raved about the book, and I thought to myself, well, Jen's word is as good as gold (platinum, really!), so maybe I should give this a try. I did, and...honestly, if I never read another book again, my life will still be complete.

It would be impossible for me to list all of the reasons why I love this novel. All I can say is, and take it from a non-fiction reader, this book is what I'd choose to bring along on a deserted island. Forget the mint-chocolate chip. All I would need is my copy of Mudbound.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mudbound.