Katia's Reviews > Let the Great World Spin

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Dec 20, 11

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Great World Spin.

Quotes Katia Liked

Colum McCann
“I guess this is what marriage is, or was, or could be. You drop the mask. You allow the fatigue in. You lean across and kiss the years because they're the things that matter.”

Colum McCann
“No shame in saying that I felt a loneliness drifting through me. Funny how it was, everyone perched in their own little world with the deep need to talk, each person with their own tale, beginning in some strange middle point, then trying so hard to tell it all, to have it all make sense, logical and final.”

“Nobody falls halfway”

Colum McCann
“Words are good for saying what things are, but sometimes they don't function for what things aren't.”

Colum McCann
“People are good or half good or a quarter good, and it changes all the time- but even on the best day nobody's perfect.”

Colum McCann
“There's a part of me that thinks perhaps we go on existing in a place even after we've left it.”

Colum McCann
“If they ask you to stand still, you should dance.”

Colum McCann
“I'm only telling you on the truth," he said. "If you can't stand the truth, don't ask for it.”

Colum McCann
“Sometimes we just walk into something that is not for us at all. We pretend it is. We think we can shrug it off like a coat, but it's not a coat at all, it's more like another skin. [...] All I wanted was to make my life thrilling for a while: to take the oridinary objects of my days and make a different argument out of them, no obligations to my past.”

Colum McCann
“With all respects to heaven, I like it here.”