★Ruth★'s Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jan 01, 2014

bookshelves: favourites, angel, angst, demons, magic, series-read-na-supernatural, 5-star-authors
I own a copy

This has to be my favorite book of the year so far. I couldn't put it down to the point where my husband sent me to the spare room if I wasn't turning off the light(I so wasn't) and yes that does mean I'm an old married woman but I'm not ashamed to be reading YA books.
Beautifully written, fantastic characters and delighted it was set someplace different to the usual American based stories (not that I have anything against it just nice for a change of scenery and culture).
I loved how the writer totally sucked me into not only one world but three. How every character was so vivid and how perceptions of whats evil and good are thrown out the window.
Karou is a wonderful character who's life is totally turned upside down and inside out, and considering she is more used than most to the unusual this is really saying something.
If you read one supernatural/paranormal/science fiction book it has to be this one.
Sooooo excited for the next book, my only disappoint is that this author hasn't loads more books out for me to devour.

Quotes ★Ruth★ Liked

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“I don't know many rules to live by,' he'd said. 'But here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential penises either.'

'Inessential penises?' Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. 'Is there any such thing as an essential one?'

'When an essential one comes along, you'll know,' he'd replied.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

01/01/2014 marked as: series-read-na-supernatural

Aestas Book Blog Does it have a HEA? Is it a romance? Or more just paranormal?

★Ruth★ It Kinda has A HEA but there is a sequel which I cannot wait for. There is a lot of romance but also a great great story...I really love this book.
Even though it's YA the character is very mature for her age.
I don't even know what to compare it too as it really stands out on it's own.
Angels & demon's are the main characters along with human's. I'm not usually a fan of angels but I'm definitely a fan of this :)

Aestas Book Blog Hmmm so is it a cliffhanger? Should I wait to read it until I have the sequel?

★Ruth★ It's more like the stage is set for the next part if that makes sense! I'm eager for the sequel because I'm mad for more as opposed to having to know what happens next.

Aestas Book Blog k cool :) I'll read it then - yay!

Karla It was amazing Ruth! Wonderful review!