Laura's Reviews > Putting Makeup on Dead People

Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi

** spoiler alert ** I don't know. Having worked in a funeral home may have ruined this one for me. Clearly the author thinks the idea of being a mortician is hugely metaphorical, a life vocation, the way the character can deal with her grief, etc. etc. Well, sure. But it can also just be a job.
Other than this - the character was consistent, plot of family dynamics & relationship trajectory unsurprising but not frustratingly so, achieved expected amounts of growth. The new and unusual thing about this book is just the funeral home angle; nothing else was particularly fresh for me - your average coming-of-age, dealing-with-angst YA. Minus bullying, thank heavens!
Did appreciate character's actions re: sex - has it on her own terms when she is ready and it is positive, normal behaviour.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Putting Makeup on Dead People.

message 1: by Vanessa (last edited Dec 22, 2011 09:34PM) (new)

Vanessa lol Laura, I totally saw this book on the shelf last week and paused, flipped my head upside down to try and figure out why the picture was reversed -cuz I was kinda creeped out by the lips- I didn't read the title until I stood up straight again and then kinda understood.. aha