Kathryn's Reviews > Novel Destinations: Literary Landmarks From Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West

Novel Destinations by Shannon McKenna Schmidt

Aug 27, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, travel
Recommended for: traveling book lovers!

*Review based on skimming through to points of interest:
Found at the library, joy of joys! Not that I'll be reading through every single page (I doubt) but enough skimming to do a bit of armchair travel! ;-> Delightful!!! As the cover suggests, it's "a book-lover's Baedeker" featuring more than 500 literary locales from the US and Europe. Of course, there's the obvious and obligatory "Shakespeare's Birthplace" type entry, but also a lot of really nifty lesser-known sites of literary interest with such section headings as "Mark Twain Slept Here and You Can, Too!" featuring hotels where famous authors have stayed, small-but-significant museums devoted to authors, and even some festivals (some close-to-home, like the John Steinbeck Festival in Salinas--some mouthwateringly distant, like the Jane Austen festival in Bath). Anyway, much fun (and daydreaming) to be had if you are like me and enjoy armchair travel while amassing an interesting list of places to visit when the chance for the real thing rolls around!

(I do wish there were more photos; but I suppose we may hope that all the websites listed still work and that they will have nice color photos for our vicarius travel enjoyment!)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Novel Destinations.

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie This looks so cool - do you have a copy or have you thumbed through it yet?

Kathryn I saw it at the Barnes and Noble on Maui and didn't have too much time to thumb through it, but what I saw looked very fun--not too large an entry on any one place, but enough that you understand the literary significance of it--enough to lead you there and then, one would suppose, the site itself will explain more. It's received some good reader reviews, so I hope to pick up a copy eventually. Let me know if you get to it before I do!

message 3: by Qt (new)

Qt What a neat book idea!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann It does sound really fun to read!

message 5: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Thanks for the update - I've finally found some good bookstores here in D.C., and I'll definitely look for a copy!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann This does sound most delightful! How current is it? Does it mention the Balmoral? ;>

Kathryn No, it does not! :-( I think they focus more on "classic" authors.

message 8: by Ann (new)