June Louise's Reviews > Watching Willow Watts

Watching Willow Watts by Talli Roland

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: light-reading, contemporary-fiction, mum-treats
Read from December 20 to 21, 2011

Willow is a plain lass, living a rather humdrum life in Britain's Ugliest Village, Belcherton (fantastic name!) having moved there from London following the death of her mother and split from her boyfriend. All plods on uneventfully until she dresses up as Marilyn Monroe for fun at the village fete and is recorded and subsequently uploaded to YouTube by the village's resident Mr Tourism, Simpson Dyer (again, another fantastic surname - it reflects the state of the village). Within a short space of time, Willow is a global phenomenon, with die-hard Marilyn fans invading Belcherton to see her in the flesh. In time, Willow realises fame and fortune isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Talli has produced some fantastic characters: Willow, the naieve, plain-Jane, skinny, wannabe florist who is slowly stagnating whilst helping her father in his antiques shop; Paula the rock-chick hairdresser; Betts Johnson, the "blubbery" American; Matthias the trying-to-be-trendy journalist; Jay Bellamy....oooh what can I say about Jay.....the novel's baddie. His plots and schemings are very clever, and when he hires himself to be Willow's "agent" you just KNOW it will all end in tears!

I love Talli's humour in this novel. There were times I laughed, and there were times I cringed at how stupid Willow could be! Overall though, this is one feelgood book - not only in following Willow, but also relishing in the demise of Jay as well.....

I think if this novel was to be made into a film, the soundtrack would have to be Chesney Hawkes "I am the one and only, there's nobody I'd rather be...."

This was the first book by Talli I have read, and I absolutely loved it; and have now also downloaded her other novels "The Hating Game" and "Build A Man" onto my Kindle.

Thanks for a fab read, Talli.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watching Willow Watts.

12/20/2011 page 1
0.0% "Talli is one of my Twitter "friends", so I'm looking forward to reading some of her novels, starting with this one."
12/20/2011 "I'm 28% through and the phrase going through my head right now is, "it'll all end in tears.....""