Katie's Reviews > Meant to Be

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: cover-love, favorites, contemporaries
Read in July, 2012

Similar Books: Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson, Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

I put off reading this book for quite a while because (1) I thought I was over contemps and (2) I had high expectations for this book's greatness and was afraid I'd be disappointed. I now have no idea why I was so worried - this book was everything I was hoping it'd be and SO. MUCH. MORE.

If I had to sum up my feelings for this book, I'd say I'm like...

And...

There are basically 3 elements that will make me go crazy and fangirl over a book. I like to call them the "3 F's," and this book has them all. It's funny, fluffy, and foreign.

First and foremost, this book is hilarious. I loved Julia as a narrator. People go around talking about this nebulous concept of "voice" and how it's so important for an author to have. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if an author has a good one or not, whether it's distinctive. But I'm just gonna say this: Lauren Morrill has a great voice! And it's absolutely perfect for this genre.

Something that kept me from loving Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins was the fact that I didn't much care for Anna. I didn't connect with her or her voice. But there's just so much to love about Julia. She's quirky and nerdy and basically 100% adorable.

And can I just say that this book is FULL of awkward.

But in a totally wonderful way. Julia literally football tackles someone in the middle of the Tate Museum. I had to re-read that passage to double-check that I hadn't made that up. Julia just gets herself into so many incredibly awkward, hilarious circumstances that you can't help but root for her.

Now. Let's talk about one of the best parts of the book. Jason Erm...I mean, the romance.

The cuteness, it killed me. Julia and Jason are just SO FREAKIN' CUTE TOGETHER! I loved their banter and how perfectly imperfect Jason is. Also, he's a ginger, which was totally unexpected and basically made me love him. I mean, how many redhead heroes are there in YA? Not many. And the fact that he's SO immature could have been off-putting, but I couldn't stop laughing at his antics. He reminded me of the funny guys in high school that you always liked but never dated because you were too busy crushing on the football star or the one in a band.

Thank you, Lauren Morrill, for helping score a point for the funny guy!

I also really liked that the romance felt very real and honest. Jason doesn't always say the right thing, and Julia has to lose a lot of her naivety about relationships before she can be happy. And while I was afraid going into the book that the romance would feel rushed because the book takes place over only 1 week, it never did. There's no dropping of the l-word, which was great, and really, Julia and Jason were just great together.

2012 has really been a year of contemps for me, and this is definitely one of my favorites. It might very well be my favorite book of the year period, tied with Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard.

More books like this please!
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meant to Be.

Kaitlyn I want to read that so badly! Glad to hear that it's so good. :)

Katie Kaitlyn wrote: "I want to read that so badly! Glad to hear that it's so good. :)"

It's SUPER cute! :)

Kaitlyn KM wrote: "It's SUPER cute! W)"

Awesome! Can't wait to get it when it comes out. :D

Melannie :) I wanted to wait till we were closer to the publication day but now you got me all excited, I think I'm gonna read it now :D

Katie Melannie :) wrote: "I wanted to wait till we were closer to the publication day but now you got me all excited, I think I'm gonna read it now :D"

Yeah I borrowed this one from a friend, so I had to read it so I could get it back to her. But seriously, this might be my favorite book of the year.

Melannie :) KM wrote: "Melannie :) wrote: "I wanted to wait till we were closer to the publication day but now you got me all excited, I think I'm gonna read it now :D"

Yeah I borrowed this one from a friend, so I had t..."

so far so fun ;)

Serena How were you able to read this I didnt think it was coming out till November?

Katie Serena wrote: "How were you able to read this I didnt think it was coming out till November?"

A friend of mine got an ARC at TLA. :)

Serena KM wrote: "Serena wrote: "How were you able to read this I didnt think it was coming out till November?"

A friend of mine got an ARC at TLA. :)"

Oh, I cant wait to read this. Was it really that good?

Katie Serena wrote: "KM wrote: "Serena wrote: "How were you able to read this I didnt think it was coming out till November?"

A friend of mine got an ARC at TLA. :)"

Oh, I cant wait to read this. Was it really that g..."

I honestly really loved it. Not sure if it was just the right book at the right time or what, but it's probably my fav for this year do far.

Kate Ashley I totally get you when you said it's similar with Anna and the French Kiss!

Hannah Camelle I totally Agree !! i love this book :)