Lucy's Reviews > Slave to Sensation

Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: adult, paranormal, romance, serial-killers
Read from December 20 to 26, 2011

So you know those people who go to Star Trek conventions? Better, do you know those people who go to Star Trek conventions in costume? Yeah, my dad totally did that, except I was the one he shoved in costumes because it was cute. (Okay, really no one would say no to me if I asked them to sign the sleeve of my little uniform so really my dad was running a free autograph scam, special sorry to Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner -- I didn't know!)

I'd like to say I rebeled against this at the age of nine or so, but I just stopped fitting in the costumes so in went my sister and then my brother, so on and so forth. Oh the never ending humiliations I share with goodreads. I didn't rebel because, well, it was fun for me to meet the people on television etc. I didn't mind the show when it was on at home, although I was more of My Little Pony fan, plus everyone told me I was cute. So clearly it was good for my little ego.

This book will appeal to many Star Trek fans because the Psys are an amusing bastard cousin of the Vulcans. The changelings (shifters, sorry changelings make me think fairy) are pretty standard for this sort of paranormal romance. The author might've thought she was avoiding cliche by going with werecats over werewolves, but the one step removed did nothing for her except maybe acknowledge the cliche and make an apologetic hand motion toward it.

I mostly enjoyed the book, not because it was anything super amazing, but perhaps because I was feeling a little nostalgic about some parts of my strange childhood. I bet your dad took you fishing, not Star Trek autograph grifting. The writing was passable, the males weren't agonizingly dominating, although my feminist feathers got ruffled a few times by the rawrdominancerawr nonsense. It was a passable way to spend a few hours and if you like adult romance and paranormal, go for it. If changeling-shifter genre cliches annoy you then maybe pass this one. If you're a hardcore Star Trek fan you might be more annoyed than amused as I was. Seriously though, I don't know why more authors haven't played with creations like Vulcans; it's definitely more interesting and less cliche than the werecats.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave to Sensation.

12/20/2011 page 1
0.0% "What a face palm of a title. I'm a fan of alliteration, but this is fighting with "Vampire Academy" as the worst title of the year. (Anna Dressed in Blood was the best.)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Oh man, my dad did take me fishing and hunting... now I'm a vegetarian, lol! It's so awesome that your dad took you to Star Trek conventions :)

Lucy I can do the Live Long and Prosper sign with both hands and you can shoot a gun. Only one skill would be useful in a post-zombie apocalypse world! I do remember it being a lot of fun though.

message 3: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Lucy wrote: "I can do the Live Long and Prosper sign with both hands and you can shoot a gun. Only one skill would be useful in a post-zombie apocalypse world! I do remember it being a lot of fun though."

Good point regarding the apocalypse. Well, it's all ending sometime in December 2012 right? Better start target practice now while you still can! haha

Kana My dad did the same thing! Conspiracy.