Boof's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: classics, read-in-2009, my-current-top-10, comfort-reading, my-most-amazing-books, british-authors, 1001-books, uk
Recommended to Boof by: Kirsty and Tisha
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in February, 2009

Wow! Just wow!

I am a latecomer to Jane Eyre and I am now wondering what the hell took me so long. This book is amazing from start to finish and I found myself thinking about it whenever I couldn't get to it to carry on reading.

Jane Eyre is a fantastic character and I had more than a few laugh-out-loud moments with her. My favourite being when the school governer tell her she is naughty and asks how she can stop being burned in the pits of hell to which she replies "I must keep in good health, and not die." Genius!

The story of Jane Eyre spans over a decade and we follow her from her first home as an orphan in her rich relatives home where they treat her as an outcast, through boarding school for orphan girls and on to work as a governess where she meets Mr Rochester.

The whole books is beautifully written and engaging and I never once found a dull moment.

This is one book that I will be going back to again and again, I'm sure, and it has gone straight into my top 5 of all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Quotes Boof Liked

Charlotte Brontë
“Reader, I married him.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

01/26/2009 page 40
6.92% 1 comment
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misfit I love Bronte - with the exception of Shirley that is. When you're in the mood for 19C India check out Zemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald. It has quite a Jane Eyre feel to it, from the prose to the not-so-gorgeous heroine and hero.

Boof Thanks for the recommendation Misfit, I will check that one out.

Sherien hi Boof, I also laughed out at the part where Jane replied "I must keep in good health, and not die."
Very funny yet has a very strong point...

Boof It's great isn't it Sherien? I love that Jane has such a feisty streak even at such a young age.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you have come to love it! It seems to me a tragedy that some people might go through their whole lives without reading it.

Boof I know, I swear schools have a lot to answer for. I always loved books but for some reason school managed to put me off reading the classics for years and I have only recently reaslied how much I've missed out on.

Grace Tjan I really should read this asap --- after TMOTF, I guess.

Cath I had seen a couple of movie adaptation and now I finally started reading. Just love it!

Boof The book is so much better Cath