Boof's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-in-2009, 1001-books, thrillers-mystery-crime, usa
Read in February, 2009

I wanted to like this book more than I think I did. It is the first Capote I have read, and I really liked his writing and certainly will be reading more of him, but this book left me feeling a little.....meh.

The subject is both horrific and yet gripping. The story of the Clutter family was far worse that I ever knew and I warmed instantly to them which made reading about their culling all the more difficult. There were several points in this book when I could easily have given 4 (or even 5) stars but for some reason I got irritated reading about the two perpertrators and their story. Yes, I know it was crucial for the book but really I was bored of thier background. Yes, they had tough upbringings, yes they didn't have the best start in life but do you know what, I didn't care. The sensless killings were just that - sensless and I really began to have no interest in their early lives at all. They bored me from about half way in.

Good book, enjoyed it, just didn't love it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.

02/25/2009 page 72
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Bluedaizy (new) - added it

Bluedaizy I was discussing this book with a friend of mine last week and she mentioned that Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, helped Capote write this book and the fact that he did not give her any credit contributed to her not writing anything significant (not published) since. After reading your review, I feel like I have to read the book now. It's an omen. People I know keep talking about it. :)

Boof I'm really keen to hear your thoughs now, Blue. I seem to be in the minority with mine so curious to hear others too.

message 3: by Bluedaizy (new) - added it

Bluedaizy Boof wrote: "I'm really keen to hear your thoughs now, Blue. I seem to be in the minority with mine so curious to hear others too."

I'll start it tonight. It sounds like just the thing to start on a rainy evening.