Furbjr's Reviews > Bakunin: The Philosophy of Freedom

Bakunin by Brian Morris

Dec 20, 11

Read in October, 2011

I knew a little bit about Bakunin when I picked this up as it was selected by freedombookclub.com as their book of the month in September 2011. A great deal of this book debunks previous scholarly works done by historians with a bias, either in favor or against Bakunin. I feel that this represents a cogent, honest assessment of who Bakunin was, how he evolved as a thinker, and his profound influence on socialism, libertarianism, and Anarchy.

Though this is not supposed to be a scholarly work, it has many annotations which will help the reader that is interested in exploring Bakunin further.

A very minor quibble from me is that Mr. Morris uses an excessive amount of quotations around phrases containing only two or three words, which I found alternately mildly amusing, and then mildly irritating.

I highly recommend this book as an introduction to Bakunin or libertarian socialism. Bakunin's thoughts, as explained by Mr. Morris, show a linear train of thought emanating from the mind of a true free radical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bakunin.