Robert's Reviews > Snowflake Bentley

Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: 4-4, biography, nonfiction, art, science, caldecott-medal, simile, dialogue
Recommended to Robert by: Lisa Kaler, Michelle Fralinger
Read on December 19, 2011, read count: 1

As I walked into the art room today to pick up my class, the teacher was reading this book to them. I was intrigued. I returned during lunch to read the book on my own.

This guy was remarkable. He had an interest in snow and wanted to capture them. His drawings stunk. He convinced his parents to purchase him a big camera. It took him a long time, but he finally figured out how to photograph individual snowflakes. His work remains a staple today (Bentley died in 1922).

The images that accompany the text are wonderful. So wonderful indeed that they won the Caldecott Medal. Pretty kewl!

I think this is an excellent book to present a biography to students. It's written on their level and has a high interest factor. I suspect I will find a way to weave this into our classroom. There is a good use of a simile and plenty of dialogue in the book.
****
The sidebars that accompany this provide facts that complement the story. I find these very interesting.

Determination is a theme to Bentley's life. He so wanted to create a record of snowflakes so they would live on. He found a way eventually after failures (small lens opening for a lengthy period of time).

****
19 December 2011
8 February 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowflake Bentley.