Jonathan Farb's Reviews > The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

M_50x66
Dec 19, 11

Read in December, 2011

This story is probably one of my favorite books; the composition of this story is very easy to read especially for the ever so common visual reader. The book pretty much consists of a variety of short stories that change after each chapter. The short stories highlight significant events and stories about an army battalion enduring the Vietnam War. Telling stories of love, combat and everything in between. Each of the short Stories is very well composed of well written short stories. Each story is very well sought out by the author. Each story is very much like a story within a story, truly living up to the name short story. With every chapter that you read you grow eager to continue to read. For me one of the reasons why this is my favorite book is because of how easy it is for me to read. Being able to read a story at the rate and the tone that it was written to be read at can greatly increase ones understanding of a book. The thoughtful tone and the well flowing sentences definitely added to the story by making it easier to read and understand. Also the buildup that the book has when increasing chapters while also you really develop a relationship with each character in the battalion and it really enables to make the reader feel as if they're part of the action and part of the crew in the story, this also contributed greatly to the flow of the stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things They Carried.